Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fragile Eternity

Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr (April 21st 2009—HarperTeen)

Grade: 2 stars out of 5

Summary: “Seth never expected he would want to settle down with anyone—but that was before Aislinn. She is everything he'd ever dreamed of, and he wants to be with her forever. Forever takes on new meaning, though, when your girlfriend is an immortal faery queen.

Aislinn never expected to rule the very creatures who'd always terrified her—but that was before Keenan. He stole her mortality to make her a monarch, and now she faces challenges and enticements beyond any she'd ever imagined.

In Melissa Marr's third mesmerizing tale of Faerie, Seth and Aislinn struggle to stay true to themselves and each other in a milieu of shadowy rules and shifting allegiances, where old friends become new enemies and one wrong move could plunge the Earth into chaos.”

Review: So I may be the only girl alive who has qualms with this book. In fact, I had so much trouble that it took me a whopping 5 days to read. Although I read Graceling over the span of 3 months, I actually had only spent 2 days actually reading it because it was a huge read. This means that Fragile Eternity was by far the longest book it has ever taken me to read. If I had it my way, meaning I did not have to mail this book out to a friend, I would have taken another week or so, hoping to drag the pain out over the course of time.

Fragile Eternity takes off immediately where Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange left off. So if you are like me and read those books ages ago, read it again before starting Fragile Eternity. Or you will be lost. Case in point, me. I had trouble beginning the book because I forgot some of the events that happened in those prior books which forced me to be completely and utterly lost. It took about 100 pages in that until I got comfortable again.

Give me another hundred pages and the plot begins to pick up. That is right. More than halfway through the book, page 250 or so, did the actual storyline make any sense. It was a grueling pace from the start. Excessive descriptions, unneeded dialogues, and bouts of what did I just read? I can basically sum up the entire first half in a few sentences. In fact for a hefty read like this, around 400 pages, the entire series moved 3 steps forward and 2 steps back.

Is anyone else not overly obsessed over the characters like me? Aislinn is too naïve for me like she has on a pair of rose-tinted glasses in every wake of her life. Keenan is just a shy of being a man whore (excuse my French) for me—just a bit more “loving” before I stick a label on his forehead. Seth was kind of there. Well some times…. I just see no appeal to him compared to others who fawn over his hard rock appearance and multiple piercings. I mean really though!? I get that he has a lip piercing, but can you please stop mentioning it every other page! For me the real star was Niall. He was the mighty stone who made sense! He who does not whine and complain ever few pages shines like a thousand stars! (does anyone else see the irony of me saying this and what I am saying?)

So that was the bad parts of Fragile Eternity. The good news was that the book definitely had the drama aspect down pat. The relationships between every character had its ups and downs, its hugs and kisses to pain and anguish. I found the brotherhood between Seth and Niall refreshing. There were no love quarrels and no dramatic scenes of “I love you!” and “I hate you!” Simple gestures that make me smile. There were also bits of surprises mainly involving Seth and Sorcha which never would I have imagined! And also a very cute cameo from the cover, the iron flowers of Wicked Lovely in the book.

The ending screams SEQUEL! I mean screamed!

Overall: Fragile Eternity definitely could have done better. Too much fluff and not enough of an actual plotline happening.

Cover A
The cover is simply stunning!

10 comments:

  1. yeah.... i'm having a hard time reading it as well... over a week.almsot two weeks now reading FE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I crammed it into 2 days' of reading in order to send it to Sharon. But I know where you're coming from. I love the sexual tension between Aislinn and Keenan, but that was probably the only part that I liked. I had the same problem with Marr's other books as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get what your saying. I had to go back and reread my review. I actually liked Seth... okay well, he needed to stand up against Aislinn more. I didn't like how he let her do whatever. I want to say Niall was my favorite character but I don't really know much about him.

    I have only read Fragile Eternity in this series. I agree completely with you about the confusion. If I had read the previous books, I might have understood better but I don't feel any inclination at all to read the previous books.

    Sorry, I went and babbled. All I was trying to say is that I agree with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm disappointed. But then, I didn't enjoy Ink Exchange at all either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! I haven't read this yet but I was really hoping it would be good!

    Trust me, you're not the only one who gets annoyed with fictional characters... ;)

    I nominated your blog for an award-you can see it at http://sunshine-gardeninmypocket.blogspot.com/

    Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have to read this one so I can't comment about this but I hope is way better than the first one cause there were aspects some times that didn't got me into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, I'm kind of bummed. I was fairly excited for this one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I read your review. I read Wicked Lovely and enjoyed it, but preferred Holly Black's Tithe and Valiant. And then I read Ink Exchange, but it took me a very long time to get into it and finish it, so I can't say I enjoyed it too much. I ended up preferring Holly Black's Ironside. Though I really like Niall, I haven't really cared much about returning to Melissa Marr's world. Once I get my copy of Fragile Eternity, I'm pretty sure it will take me ages to get through it. Which begs the question, I guess, why bother?

    Laura Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you. I enjoyed Wicked Lovely but found Ink Exchange an incredibly painful experience. The writing was terrible and the plot non-existent. I was stunned when I saw all the good reviews. I felt like maybe it was just leftover good feeling from the first book. Instead of being interested in teenagers it was constant crap about fairy courts and ancient feuds and people with wings desiring non-existent wars/blood orgies.

    Then I read a sample of Fragile Eternity online and saw that it was more of the same as in Ink Exchange. I'm not interested in all this dumb, long-winded political stuff. I'd watch The Phantom Menace again if I were.

    Also, yes! Why do people fawn over Seth? He basically told Leslie in Ink Exchange that he didn't care enough to help her escape the evil fairies. That after telling Ash that he only slept with other girls to keep her "pure" in Wicked Lovely. Nice guy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for being so honest in your review. I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but I had high expectations. At least now I know not to get my hopes up.

    ReplyDelete