Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday! (10)

After by Amy Efaw (August 11th 2009--Viking Books)

Except:
"Devon opens her dark eyes, looks at him.

The man gently pulls her hands away from her head. "That's a girl." Then he cups Devon's face in his hands. They're big, strong hands. He leans closer. His eyes are intense, reaching deep into hers. "Okay, now, listen to me. Calm down and listen. Can you do that for me?"

His voice is steady. Soothing. Like the rain. Devon feels a wave of heat wash over her body. She closes her eyes again, then opens them. Everything's outlined in silvery white. Hyper bright.

"This is important, okay? Concentrate on what I'm saying to you ..."

Devon tries to do what he said, tries to concentrate, but she can feel herself slipping under, losing him. Metallic flecks flurry around the corners of her vision, closing in. She hears her mom, shrill and sharp, still screaming ... something about reports. About a boss.

"'You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do may be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney ...'"

The man's words flow over her. She feels apart from it all - his words, her mom's hysteria, her pounding heart. She watches his lips move. His nice, white teeth. She breathes in and out ...

And her world goes black."

This meme is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine!

6 comments:

  1. This book is FANTASTIC! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book! I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm... so where's the synopsis??! Ah, it doesn't matter. I saw this a couple of days ago and yes, waaaant also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's no fair! I wanna know what is going on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one. Can't wait for it to come out. Thanks for the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds really good! I'll have to keep my eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete