Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sleepaway Girls

Sleepaway Girls by Jen Calonita (May 1st 2009--Little Brown)

Grade: 2.5 stars out of 5

Summary: "When Sam's best friend gets her first boyfriend, she's not ready to spend the summer listening to the two of them call each other "pookie." Sick of being a third wheel, Sam applies to be a counselor-in-training at Whispering Pines camp in the New York Catskills. But what she doesn't realize is that it's not going to be all Kumbaya sing-alongs and gooey s'mores. If Ashley, the alpha queen of Whispering Pines, doesn't ruin Sam's summer, then her raging crush on the surfer-blond and flirtatious Hunter just might. At least she has playful Cole, who's always teasing her, but is oh-so-comfortable to hang out with, and the singular gang of girls that become fast friends with Sam-they call themselves the Sleepaway Girls."

Review: Sleepaway Girls is the birth child from a combination of Disney and Nickelodeon. Cavity producing sweet, annoying moral at the end, and childish.

Sam seemed almost perfect. Nice, generous, and a complete wuss. Ashley was the perfect villain--evil, cruel, mean, heartless, and so into herself. But what was so funny to me was that in the end they start to become friends. Turns out Ashley was just jealous and Sam forgave her--shocker isn't it?

Sam needed to get a backbone and fight against Ashley. She humiliates her, lies to people about her and yet she does nothing. Absolutely nothing. Swallows her pride and moves on. The one time she did confront Ashley was the food fight where Sam throws orange juice at her...I drink orange juice. I'm not too sure how much damage that does.

Ashley was the most annoying brat ever. She was the essence of a queen bee! Can't giver what she wants? Then your life at camp will be hell. But never aim at someone who might fight back. Oh no! Target Sam because she's a pushover! I wanted to slap them both so much!

That was the main issue with Sleepaway Girls. Other than that I thought it was a fun camp-themed book. The other characters were much better (well mostly all) and were a pleasure to read.

I love the interactions between Ashley's dad and Sam's mom--a cute little relationship blooming in the background.

Overall: An aggravating book nonetheless still sugary.

Cover N/A
ARC cover was different.

6 comments:

  1. Hmm that sucks. I just got this one in the mail recently. I still plan to read it but far from now, which was actually my initial plan hahaha :) Besides it's not for review so I can definitely take my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. Shame you didn't like it. I want to read this book just to see how aggravating these characters really are. It's like Twilight. I read that and then talked about how I disliked most of the characters. And I can't believe Sam threw orange juice. I practically live off Tropicana. Seriously. Evil, wasteful people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of felt that way about Jen Calonita's previous books so I don't think this one is for me. Glad for the honest review though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. I've read two reviews on this and both were on the negative side. I might not pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that stinks. I love Jen's work, so I was really looking forward to it. Boo hoo it wasn't as great as her other books. ):

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Cavity producing sweet, annoying moral at the end, and childish," youch! Tell us how you really feel lol. I still may pick this one up someday but I bet I'd have quite a few of the same problems with it.

    ReplyDelete