Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, June 26, 2009

Are U 4 Real

Are U 4 Real by Sara Kadefors (May 19th 2009—Dial)

Grade: 2 stars out of 5

Summary: “Kyla is exactly the kind of girl Alex could never talk to in real life. She’s a gorgeous, outspoken city girl who parties to forget about her absent father and depressed mother. He’s a shy ballet dancer from the suburbs who’s never been kissed. Luckily, when they meet for the first time it’s not in real life—it’s in a chat room, where they can share how alone and misunderstood they feel far from the conformity-obsessed scenes at their high schools. Alex and Kyla quickly forge a friendship that’s far from virtual…maybe they’re even falling in love.

But what happens when you come face-to-face with the soul mate you’ve never met? Will that person be the same? Will you?”

Review: Would you count this as pity love? Straight up I did not like the book. But if you think about it, most of the reasons why I did not like the book have a simple explanation.

My biggest issue is Kyla. I just *shudders* and then *vomits*. I just wanted her to shut up, suck it up, and stop blaming others. Seriously she is a slut (whether she denies or not), a bitch (excuse my French) and…just not nice. You can judge a person a lot by their friends and throughout ¾ of the book Kyla is a perfect example. They are manipulative, back-stabbing frenemies that I trust as much as how far I can throw them which I don’t know about you, isn't very far at all. All I know is that throughout the book she had copious sex, likes to drink, smoke (weed, cigarettes), and other variation of self-destructive hobbies. So please excuse me for not fawning over her and kissing her feet.

But you know what? There might be a reason for all of this that I have to point out. Kyla’s mother goes through a divorce that left her in depression. She was forced to grow up to take care of not only herself but her mother as well. She cracked under pressure—it was only understandable. So does she have a legit reason for everything? It’s hard to tell on my end. She wants to escape from reality by drinking which in turn affects everything else. It’s a cause and reaction scenario and it all falls into place whether I like or not.

Wait, I think I may be wrong. I also had this super huge issue with Kevin. He’s a jock, a soccer player to be exact, that has a lot of problems with someone being gay. He hounds on Alex because he takes ballet and potentially gay. So aggravating.

Good side to the book is definitely Alex. Alex was a tremendous character that grew throughout the book (Kyla did too but I favor Alex more) and too nice of a guy. He can dance, play soccer, has abs(!) with a good personality rolled into one.

The concept of the book gave me a hesitate feeling. I know parents are raving about pedophiles all over the chatrooms but how is blogging any different? It’s mostly based on trust. I’m more prone to accept blogging because let’s face it, only geeks blog *raises hand*. It’s not like we’re asking people how they look like, what their ages are, where they live…wait, we do. The actual online talk I skimmed through. It was just beyond cheesy. I appreciate how Alex wrote in complete sentences and words and capitalized the letter I, Kyla of course doesn’t.

The ending is more cheese. Meh. I lived through with it—it wasn’t horrendous where I needed a crap bucket to deal with all the shit.

Overall: Slightly disappointed.

Cover B
I think the cover is cute.

EDIT: Yes Alex was that good of a character. LOL. I was very hesitate about the 2.5 because the only flaw was Kyla and Kevin and they only appear about half of the book. The other half was not bad at all. I did like the Alex parts.

10 comments:

  1. I would probably never read this based on the cover alone. But then, I'm not really in the target demographic. I'm surprised you gave this 2.5 stars despite how much you disliked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you look like? How old are you? Where do you .... never mind. *cute. I am wondering why this got 2.5 an okay rating? Was Alex that good of a character? Because if he is I think this might just be worth the read, even with the horrendousness that is perky, peppy, girls like Kyla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I think some books with drinking and smoking are sometimes the best, but I just can't stand the "back-stabbing frenemies" they just frustrate me to no end...But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hah this is a prime example of why I love your reviews so much! Only you could use words like bitch and slut and make them work in a review. *huggles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am testing my favicon.Please let my comment publish and you can delete later.Don't know how else to check if it works

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yvette: I'm keeping your comment just 'cause it made me laugh for some odd reason xD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like I wouldn't have liked it either! Love the openly honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yan, I wish you wouldn't be so shy. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. miley cyrus nude [url=http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/mileycyrus]miley cyrus nude[/url] paris hilton nude [url=http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/parishilt]paris hilton nude[/url] kim kardashian nude [url=http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/kimkardashian45]kim kardashian nude[/url] kim kardashian nude [url=http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/celebst]kim kardashian nude[/url]

    ReplyDelete