Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, June 12, 2009

Swoon

So it's been a few weeks since my last review and I had hoped to come back with a giant, happy smile and hugs galore but now it's just uhhh this...

Swoon by Nina Malkin (May 19th 2009—Simon Pulse)

Grade: 1.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “Sin is Coming...Prepare to Swoon!

Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut...until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him—but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent—and irresistible—adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will.

Only trouble is, she's in love with him.”

Review: I honestly have no words to express myself of this book (but I am going to try). On more than one occasion I found myself completely and utterly lost, constantly flipping back and forth trying to figure exactly what had indeed occur.

Swoon had all the right ingredients—dark and eerie themes, lustful characters, an awesome title, so where did it fail? In all the messy details. Where each chapter began with a new plot, a sense of correlation was lost between the period of the previous page and the next chapter number. This was where the frustration lied. I had absolutely no idea where things were heading! One minute they were discussing Sinclair’s past and the next thing I knew there’s a freaking orgy in the basement of some kid’s house! (Yes there’s an orgy. At first I did not believe either when I heard about it but then I came to the scene and I literally flipped). It was up and beyond confusing that I almost cried. Not from anything sad or touching, but rather from sheer frustrating.

Going back to the orgy, let’s talk about sex since sex and lust seem to be quite pronounced in this book. I love a smidgen of lustfulness as much as the next reader but there was a bit too much here. Swoon (the city name) is practically the capital of PDA (public display of affection), grinding hips, and necking, and let’s not forget the whole “friends with benefits”. Tone the sex down is all that I ask. I care not to read about the adventures of how Sin deflowered you, how Sin is a great lover, how Sin is practically hitting on every girl and yet you still love him.

Aside from the most obvious flaws in this book some of the characters I did happen to enjoy reading. I love the whole one syllable nickname and some of the twists in the plot. The confusion did die out in some parts as well albeit it only took 15 chapters for the author to revisit some of the beginning scenes and explain what the heck just happened.

Overall: I wanted something mysterious, deliciously tangy, and mass amounts of swooning happening. Instead I got a 425 page book that left me tears (which I am going to take a blind guess that it was not the main purpose of the book). Something about this book I just could not stomach, I just could not hold it down, devour it and savor the texture.

Cover B-
I love everything but the girl. I think if they just happened to move her up a bit or tilt it forward, it would have been better. It’s just the lower right hand side that leaves me disappointed. Definitely love the color of the lips, really rich and bright shade of red.

14 comments:

  1. Every bad review I read of this one makes me want to read it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've wanted to read this one for a while, but now I'm not so sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is disappointing. I bought this book since it sounds interesting, but it seems it's been getting not so stellar reviews from many. Still, like Khy, it makes me want to read it to see what it's like. Thanks for the honest review though. :)

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, at least your honest. Kind of makes me wonder if I should read it. I agree with you on the whole sex in a YA novel. I feel it's ok but not if it's used for shock value.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I have heard about this book is how it didn't live up to the expectations. I am really reluctant to read it but at least if I do I know not to set my hopes too high. Thanks for such an honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Khy. I've seen so many bad reviews for this one that I had to buy the hb at Strand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you know what I was gonna read something else, but I think I will give this a try tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the honest review. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like this one since the same things would bother me, so I'm going to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Thanks For The Very Honest Review But I Agree With Khy And Sharonluvscats... Everytime You Read A Bad Review You Just Want To See Where The Book Went Wrong Yourself... I Live In Connecticut And Not Alot Of Books Are Placed In CT. That Was A Reason I Wanted To Read It!! I Agree About The Cover Though, She Looks Just Akward..

    xoxo
    RagDollVampGirl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been hearing mixed reviews about this book. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this book, but I keep hearing bad reviews-I think I'll pass on it or at least wait until my review pile gets smaller. It just doesn't seem all that great to me and from your review I don't think I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard mixed reviews about this book. I want to read it for myself though. Thanks for an honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this! I mean ok, I am an adult, not a teen, but the sex really wasn't squirmy or gratuitous. And I NEVER had a problem following the book at all, but then I am used to reading some pretty experimental novels.

    Sorry you didn't enjoy it though. I realize it is not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard mixed things about this one too, either really good or really bad. I think it just makes me more curious about it!

    ReplyDelete