Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Traveling to Teens: Kerry Cohen Hoffmann

Kerry Cohen received an MFA in creative writing from the University of Oregon and an MA in counseling psychology from Pacific University. A practicing psychotherapist and the author of the young adult novel Easy, she lives with her husband and two sons in Portland, Oregon.

You can find Kerry at www.kerry-cohen.com and www.kerrycohenhoffmann.com
1. One of Zoe’s attempts to win back Henry involves climbing trees. Have you ever tried climbing trees? Do you have any advice on how to do so?
I used to climb our Japanese maple when I was a kid. Once I became an adolescent, though, I don't think I ever climbed one again. I should have! Climbing trees is fun! My only advice would be not to climb any trees with the same intentions Zoe had.

2. In the very beginning Zoe makes a collage of her and Henry. Are you into crafts? What types of collages do you like to make?
I'm sooo not into crafts. I don't think I've made a collage since Kindergarten. Sorry. Wish I had a better answer for that one.

3. It’s Not You, It’s Me takes place in high school. Do you think high school crushes will lead anywhere?
You have to have a high school crush. What is high school without one...or ten? However, I'm not a big fan of kids getting married to their "high school sweethearts." Better to experience life a little before you decide the person you love when you're 15 is the one for life.

4. Have you had a high school crush?
Um, yes. When you finish It's Not You, It's Me, read my memoir Loose Girl for much more information.

5. Henry is in a band called Spaghetti Carbonara. What was your inspiration to that name? Do you have a favorite artist or song?
Ha! I was just trying to think of the most ridiculous name possible. I thought of how many musician boys I've known (and, okay, dated) who thought their band was on the path to stardom, and they all had ludicrous names. At the time, of course, I thought they were the coolest. I'm hoping my readers will know better.

My favorite artist right now is Cat Power. Chan Marshall's voice is so beautiful and soulful, and her music hits just right. I love too that she doesn't seem to be caught up in all that fluff that comes along with fame, meaning she doesn't concern herself with her appearance (although, she's naturally gorgeous) or an image. She relies on her talent and her unique sound, which is how it should be.
This has been a production of Traveling to Teens.

Everything is uber late because somehow my scheduled post never actually posted...

5 comments:

  1. Soda shot out my nose when I read #4. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interview. Love the band's name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, my scheduled post didn't post, either. How weird is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Loose Girl in my TBR pile. I can't wait to read it not necessarily light and YA like but I am excited to read It's Not You It's Me too. The cover is really cute. Great Questions by the way.

    ReplyDelete