Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Revelations

Revelations by Melissa de la Cruz (October 28th 2008--Hyperion)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Have you ever wondered what secrets lurk behind the closed doors of New York City's wealthiest families? They're powerful, they're famous... they're undead.

Schuyler Van Alen's blood legacy has just been called into question--is the young vampire in fact a Blue Blood, or is it the sinister Silver Blood that runs through her veins? As controversy swirls, Schuyler is left stranded in the Force household, trapped under the same roof as her cunning nemesis, Mimi Force, and her forbidden crush, Jack Force.

When one of the Gates of Hell is breached by Silver Bloods in Rio de Janeiro, however, the Blue Bloods will need Schuyler on their side. The stakes are high; the battle is bloody; and through it all, Carnavale rages on. And in the end, one vampire's secret identity will be exposed in a revelation that shocks everyone.”

Review: It’s a love and hate relationship once again. I was never too fond of some the things in this series and Revelations is a perfect example of such.

I finished the book in less than an hour and a half where things were both good and bad. Schuyler to me is slightly annoying. I find her to be overly needy and slightly naïve. She’s high on love where the more important things are hidden from her mind. She has this little bubble of what she believes is true and what isn’t that I just want to pop at points.

Jack is someone shackled by the past with a bond that is inescapable. He’s attracted by Schuyler yet he can’t let go of Mimi. Schuyler is basically an illusion to his past love—Allegra, Schuyler’s mother. He’s creating so much trouble for what he wants, what he knows can never happen, and his just plain selfishness. Same thing applies to Schuyler. She wants Jack but can’t lose Oliver. It’s a tug-of-war match of love conquers all. I don’t know about you but I’m rooting for Ollie, even though Schuyler doesn’t deserve him half the time.

Mimi and Jack are a bit gross for me. To each his own I guess? It’s practically incest but not? It’s a complicated matter of past bonds and current situations.

Overall: Hmmm

Cover B
I prefer the other country’s covers more. Well the first set anyway. I just came across these when I was updating my goodreads page.

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen these other covers. I like the first set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to say I love the foreign covers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the US covers better Lol
    I get what you mean about the characters, but in terms of the story I think its advancing for something more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read the secret chapter from Revelations? If I'm not mistaken, you can only find it online. Jack mentions Allegra - or Gabrielle, as he calls her. I was very surprised by what he said about her...though I'll leave it there to avoid spoiling anything. If you haven't read it, here's the link:

    http://bluebloodsbooks.com/target/

    The password is BLUEBLOODS. All caps, I think, and no spaces.

    It's "the story of Schuyler and Jack's final encounter, from Jack's perspective."

    And about Mimi and Jack. I also think the whole thing is a bit, well, creepy. Glad I'm not the only one! Great review as always and thanks for posting those other covers! I really like the top three.

    ReplyDelete