Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fairy Tale

Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog (June 23rd 2009—Delacorte Press)

Grade: 3 stars out 5

Summary: Morgan and Cameron have been together since birth. But a week before their joint birthdays, Cam’s “cousin” Pip appears out of nowhere. To add fuel to the fire, he’s here to take Cam’s place in the life. Why? Because for Cam’s 16th birthday his present is to take over the throne as Fairy King. Slowly Cam transforms into a winged fairy and Pip is turning, well hot. With the help of Dawn, Cam’s guide to the other world but also his betrothed, he learns to accept his destiny. But where does this leave Morgan? She’ll do anything to save Cam and keep him here in their world, even if it defies fate or what they truly desire…

Review: When I first heard about Fairy Tale, I knew right away I just had to get this book. Fairy Tale was a fun read from start to finish.

What I love about this book was how it was not too overly dramatic. The emotions there were real and understanding and never once over the top, like water works sprouting every half page.
Some of the highlight characters for me were definitely Pip and Dawn. Pip had this guy-next-book type of vibe, this adorable yet hot persona. I love his chivalrous attitude and devotion of love that he shows to Morgan. Dawn as well was a great character for me. Despite the fact that she’s the so-called villain in the novel, I just could not help but empathize with her.
The ending is also love for me. It was bittersweet but definitely well done. Again nicely executed and nothing too over the top. It fell right in with the overall storyline.

But I have some problems with this book. Some parts of Fairy Tale gave me a reminiscence of Wondrous Strange. A) Cam is the prince to the Otherworld—Kelly was the princess. B) They both involved something being stolen in their cribs and placed in the other world. Aside from this, I had a few questions regarding the novel. Say by day, Cam is slowly changing into a fairy, but no one notices, however Pip is changing as well. Do people notice his sudden growth/change? What about going back and forth from the fairy world? They mention it’s an invisible portal but that doesn’t really explain the details of it. And how did they, the fairies, know that Cam was still alive?

I am not entirely saying that Fairy Tale was completely the same as Wondrous Strange. That, my dear, is called plagiarizing. Fairy Tale still brings a new voice to the ever growing category.

Overall: These are all small little details that the reader will not really notice unless you want to nick and pick. And overall Fairy Tale was a fun read.

Cover A
I just adore the cover. Something just sparkles to me and scream "LOVE ME!"

5 comments:

  1. This book was already on my wishlist, but it may have just moved up a notch or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading this, Yan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review Yan. I'm looking forward to this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! I really want to read this. Although personally, I'm not a huge fan of the cover...

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished this one. Saved your review until I did; I have to agree with you, the supporting characters were the most entertaining and I liked Dawn too.

    ReplyDelete