Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, June 20, 2009

It's Not You, It's Me

It’s Not You, It’s Me by Kerry Cohen Hoffmann (June 9th 2009—Delacorte)

Grade: 2.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “Zoe loves Henry.

Henry dumps Zoe.

Zoe wants Henry back—at any cost.

Zoe’s two best friends come up with a plan to help Zoe get what she thinks she wants. The plan: make Henry jealous.

But the plan takes a surprising turn. . . .

Spanning thirty-one days in the cycle of a breakup, Kerry Cohen Hoffmann’s humorous and poignant novel depicts a girl whose single-minded focus on her ex-boyfriend has pulled her far from the person she most needs to win back—herself.”

Review: It’s Not You, It’s Me was a small glimpse of a crazed teen trying to win the love of her life back…trying is the key word.

Zoe can only be described as a psychopath in the making. From climbing up trees, to pretending to have a fungus issue to sneak into her ex-boyfriend’s room (“getting” her fungus cream back), readers will wonder if perhaps nuts or bolts were missing from her brain. Let the funny commence. What is funny about this was the fact that it was so pathetic, so extreme to the point that I believe no teenage girl will degrade herself to that point. So by using that logic, I found this book entertaining, funny, and a wholesome good laugh at the extremes of dating. I just don’t ever want to meet Zoe in an alleyway…

This book spans over the course of 31 days of hate, love, hate, love, defeat, and love. It talks about losing yourself to love, literally. Zoe lost her passion in writing; her hobbies after Henry came along. What was great about this book was that Henry noticed this and tried to help Zoe realize this. Even though his method was slightly cruel, it was needed. She lost herself, lost her entire essence.

Overall: This was a good coming to age story.

Cover A-
One of the most adorable cover I have ever seen.

7 comments:

  1. I seriously love reading reviews for this book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm surprised you liked this. It was so hard to get through for me...
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it all depends on perspective. I've not read this book, but I've read several reviews that were negative because of the main character being almost insane. Glad you were able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen great reviews about this one, but I'm interested to read about this little nut job Zoe.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol I have read so many diferent reviews for this book, its almost funny!

    But I get what you mean, I would probably find it funny and disturbing at the same time lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reviews for this one have been so-and-so, but they are quite funny! As is yours! It makes me wonder if I want, maybe, to read it to make my own mind about it? The cover is just SO cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one really cute cover. I'm not sure I'd pick this up on my own normally, but I may give it a shot after reading your review on it.

    ReplyDelete