Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ballads of Suburbia

Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert (July 21st 2009—MTV)

Grade: 4 stars out of 5

Summary: “Kara hasn't been back to Oak Park since the end of junior year, when a heroin overdose nearly killed her and sirens heralded her exit. Four years later, she returns to face the music. Her life changed forever back in high school: her family disintegrated, she ran around with a whole new crowd of friends, she partied a little too hard, and she fell in love with gorgeous bad-boy Adrian, who left her to die that day in Scoville Park....

Amid the music, the booze, the drugs, and the drama, her friends filled a notebook with heartbreakingly honest confessions of the moments that defined and shattered their young lives. Now, finally, Kara is ready to write her own.”

Review: Ballads of Suburbia is a tale that tells about what it’s really like in the suburbs. It’s not the cakes and cookies as what Stephanie pointed out. Fans of I Wanna Be Joey Ramone will be happy to know that Stephanie’s new book is just as powerful, intense, and gripping.

This book left me depressed, anguished, and with a throat as dry as the desert. Kara goes through such a journey of emotions each leaving me a sense of sadness, hopes that are destroyed, Ballads of Suburbia is a perfect partner to Amy Winehouse’s song Rehab.

Kara goes through a roller coaster of a lifetime with friends, family, and drugs. The drugs are what calms her, they are what erases the mistakes. Kara faces two boys—one that left her to die and one that almost killed me. She makes a tough choice and in the end finally grows up.

In some ways these types of books are not for me. I mean I like them here and there, but they aren’t something I can live on.

Ballads was just too loaded with drugs. I expected the onslaught of drugs but when a good part of the book describes drugs, how to use drugs, where you get drugs, and the path away from drugs, I miss some of the more finer details. The family parts, the friendship parts, it all blurs like you’re on drugs. In some ways I think this had to be done. Everything, almost everything, revolved around this. Each one was a stepping stone until ultimately everyone comes crashing down.

Overall: Heartbreakingly true.

Cover B
This cover is beyond disturbing. It’s the cynical part of the suburbs.
This was a Traveling to Teens tour

2 comments:

  1. This book has just been recently added to my "books I want to read list". Quite excited to read it. Thanks for the good review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!
    Just added to my TBR pile, I'm excited to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete