Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives

This review can be used for almost the entire series aside from the final volume.
Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives Volume 2 by Ellen Schreiber, REM (Illustrator)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Who says dating a vampire is easy? Raven's nocturnal romance with her immortal love, Alexander, is definitely dicey, but even more so with Alexander's meddling half-vamp cousin in town. Claude and his sketchy gang are on the hunt for a stash of blood-filled vials that can turn them into pure vampires. With an old family feud casting a shadow on the search, they'll do anything to get their hands on the vials. Raven and Alexander must swiftly mastermind a plan to outwit them, but will the very lure of the vials create more risk for Raven than she could ever imagine? And deepen her own quandary about the possibility of becoming a vampire?”

Review: This will probably be my only review for a manga. I just wanted to test myself and have a little fun while doing it.

Mangas are a lot different than a book. The installments are similar to that of a chapter in a regular novel. The progress is rather slow and not much substance happening. For example a 192 page novel might take an hour or so depending on how much I like it. The manga, however, took around 30 minutes and since I spent time staring at the pretty pictures and the extras at the back it should have only taken 20 minutes. But Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives is just one of many young adult novels transformed into a manga series. Meaning you need to read the actual novel set before beginning the manga. All the basic background information is in the novel—characters, settings, some of the storylines.

Now let’s talk about this particular manga. I have to say I much prefer the manga astronomically. I mean the manga is as cliché and cringe-worthy cheesy as the book but look at the pretty pictures! It’s a step up from “oh my gothic vampire prince” in my opinion. The storyline slightly better, the dialogue much, much, much better, the character development meh=same.

I sometimes do not understand why these books cost so much. Take it from a once manga obsessed freak, these things are freaking expensive. There are no 50% bestsellers or coupons, only buy 3 and get 1 free type of deals—if you’re lucky to find one. And at $10 each (at least this one is. Sometimes there are $9) with tax, mangas should be relished not devoured. Trust me, unless you have the entire series you’re in trouble. They do not last. But hey, at least they’re always paperback.

Overall: One thing I can applaud Ellen on is the fact that she chose REM as her illustrator. It saves her ass.

Cover B
It’s better than the first one.

3 comments:

  1. Lol, yea I like only the character designs in this series.

    If you go to anime conventions, you can get them for $5 each on the older and less popular series. You can get cheap mangas if you know where to go. ;D Nowadays, there aren't really a good series out anymore. I pretty much stopped buying mangas and only buy for the series I want to collect. Other than that, library time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha you changed your icon, looks like you are totally taking the dare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I know what you mean about manga being an expensive habit. I'm not as bad as I used to be, but I've been following five series that don't seem to ever end. D:
    Also, great review! I review manga from time to time as well, but only for the series as a whole, as opposed to just one volume at a time for most of the reasons you already mentioned (too short, etc.)

    ReplyDelete