Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, July 20, 2009

Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales

Wicked Lovely: Desert Tales, Volume 1: Sanctuary by Melissa Marr (May 1st 2009—Bowen Press)

Grade: 1 star out of 5 (but you were really close to being a door stopper!)

Summary: “Discover Melissa Marr's mesmerizing world of Faerie...

The desert is far away from the schemes of the Faerie Courts—and that's how Rika likes it. Once a mortal and now a faery, Rika seeks isolation and revels in her ability to appear invisible to humans. Then, she meets him. Artistic and kind, Jayce is the last person Rika wants to hide from.

But change is coming, challenging Rika's freedom and her new romance, as her past pursues her, even into the heart of the desert. . . .”

Review: You would think by now I learned to stay away from Melissa Marr’s books but I thought “hey, I enjoyed the Vampire Kisses manga even though the book series kind of didn't do it for me, maybe it’ll be the same for Melissa Marr’s books!”. Wrong! Wrong to the infinite suckage power.

Let’s start with the background information. Wait, opps we can’t. There were hardly any! The manga is designed that we have to have had read the Wicked Lovely. You need to understand the court system, understand Keenan’s past, understand the whole “finding the ice queen” scenes for the reader to even get pass the first 10 pages! Even then I was willing to slide on some levels. Maybe, just maybe, the manga/manhua* might explain some of that in the sequels to come--hopefully.

My biggest issue is the “thing” between Jayce and Rika. Completely unbelievable. Rika practically stalks Jayce for some time before reveling herself. Even then Jayce somehow falls madly in love with her despite the fact that they’ve known each for oh less than 24 hours. They even smooch a little in the end! Someone must have answered my prayers and decided to add a little action in the end! (If you guys can’t tell I’m being super sarcastic then you should just smack yourself in the head).

The lines delivered were unrealistic. The fight scene in the club stupid. I mean so the faeries are invisible to humans but when they were trying to force Rika to speed things along with Jayce (by trying to kill them of course, that’s the answer to all of life’s questions.The way through a man's heart isn't through his stomach, it's through his broken ribs, beaten face, and internal bleeding, which doesn't explain) are they suddenly visible? Because Jayce clearly mentions one of them having a knife later on. And if they were visible, why was no one stopping the desert faeries from trying to kill them? You’re in a populated club with people surrounding you, just starring. You would think someone would have screamed or cried out stop or something!

And let’s not forget the love triangle-ish. Yes ish because it might happen or Melissa Marr is just leading us on. *sigh* ugh. Let’s all I have to say.

The artwork is also kind of average. Some parts were weird since the head looked kind of squashed. The hair on Jayce—what the hell is that? Dreadlocks? An alien life form suctioned onto his head!? You can't tell by the cover but the shading of the hair is just bizarre.

Overall: I want my 20 minutes back. Might pick up the sequel if I’m in a nasty mood.

P.S. How the hell is the girl named Rika? When we first saw Keenan and Rika, they were wearing these Victorian outfits yet Rika is clearing a Japanese name. Is she an immigrant? Is she a mixed child? Or is Melissa Marr just trying to write a stereotypical manga/manhua* with a stereotypical Japanese name?

Cover B-
Suctioned man alert!

*I'm not sure what to consider this comic. The comic is illustrated by a Chinese group so...?

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so very, very much for the laugh.

    I tend not to pick up manga-type books because the art creeps me out. Though I was contemplating this to see what it was like. I liked Wicked Lovely and hated Ink Exhange and have not yet cracked the spine of my copy of um... you know that last one whose name escapes me.. FRAGILE ETERNITY!.. you know that one.

    But I loved the way you wrote this. It made me laugh. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why I never pick up mangas that are from a book story... THEY SUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really dislike the books...but I can't really see the story translating well to manga...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't like the drawing. it's really weird when stories are turned into mangas. They ruin my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this one 2, I was drawn 2 the artwork, but when i read it, it just didn't flow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy the Wicked Lovely series, but I could never bring myself to read these. Manga that are based off books never seem to hold up well, and this one just looks, well.. kind of retarded. Even more so now after having read this review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stop laughing at "infinite suckage power."

    ReplyDelete