Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday Mystery: Julie Kraut

So this week we have Julie Kraut. Her latest book Slept Away can be bought at Amazon Borders Barnes & Noble IndieBound Random House. You can visit Julie here
What’s my favorite childhood summertime treat?

While I’m not one to turn down a grill-cooked burger, a rocket pop, or even a sugary cup of bug juice, my absolute favorite childhood summertime treat is a s’more. And to be honest, I’m not really sure why. Well, I mean, I know why I like s’mores. Melty chocolate, graham crackers, cooking on a stick, and finger licking are all elements to any successful meal. But, s’mores have a nostalgic appeal to me that doesn’t really make sense. When I eat them, I think back on my childhood summers at camp and smile. But the truth is, I never ate a real s’more at camp.

My camp was kosher and even though I couldn’t quite understand what wasn’t kosher about marshmallows, we weren’t allowed to have them. Instead, we used marshmallow fluff. Now don’t get me wrong, marshmallow fluff is delicious in its own right. But it’s just completely different from actual marshmallows. It’s even in an entirely separate food group, if I’m not mistaken. At camp, we’d make graham cracker, chocolate, and fluff sandwiches, wrap them in tin foil, and then throw them on the fire to cook and call them s’mores. But, even at nine years old, I knew this was a cheap imitation of the real thing. Part of the s’more experience is the process of slow roasting (or fast incinerating) the marshmallow over an open flame. The fluff version lacked a certain human touch and that trademark carcinogenic element that makes s’mores uniquely delicious.

So while it’s not really a favorite treat from my childhood summers, s’mores are still my favorite childhood treat and I have them every time I go camping now. I guess I’m just making up for the missed memories, one burnt marshmallow at a time.

3 comments:

  1. Great mini-view... small interview? one question dash? Well it was enjoyable regardless of what you would call it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love smores! I never ate a 'real' smore though. The first time I had one was last 4th of July and we just put them on the grill. Boringgg.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, that was interesting. Looks like somethings will always remain mystery.

    I myself have been trying to solve the mystery of this legend for a while now. Could not understand much though.

    Let me know in case you get to understand the mystery of the Old Hound and the Legend

    By the way, good writing style. I'd love to read more on similar topics

    ReplyDelete