Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Monday, July 27, 2009

Behind Every Illusion

Behind Every Illusion by Christina Harner (June 6th 2009--Two Tree Books)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “All creatures born of human parents must be human and therefore must be ordinary.

Even the soft-spoken eighteen-year-old Tatiana Lewis wholeheartedly accepts this logic. So when she begins to experience unusual changes, she has no clue where to turn and instead keeps her new abilities a secret. But her best friend and brother, Isaac, sees past her illusions and together they explore the significance of her differences and search out the meaning behind them.

Amidst tragedy, unimaginable transformations and an unexpected friendship, Tatiana has to learn to reveal the girl hidden behind her illusions and what it means to face the world in order to preserve not only the forest but her very existence.”

Review: First things first, kudos goes to Christina for being a self-published author! Washington Irving was a self-published author at one point and we can see how far he went in the literacy career!

Anyway Behind Every Illusion gives the reader a fresh new idea of how fairies are perhaps evolved for the global epidemic. It plays nicely with the world’s Go Green! slogan and promotions. I don’t know how well it will translate into the storyline however.

My biggest struggle with the novel is the length. I don’t mind lengthy books as long as each sentence serves a purpose. Behind Every Illusion could have used a good trimming in the excess length. I skimmed a good chunk of the beginning because it had no actual purpose within the storyline. It was too much college experience worth about 100 pages or so. To tell you the truth, I had to skim some of the middle as well.

I did enjoy the buildup. I thought that it was nice that the transformation from every day girl to fairy girl didn’t happen in a span of 24 hours. The family relationship was comforting to say the least, loved the plot twist involving said member with unexpected death and saddening love declaration.

I would have like understand more of plot. We didn’t happen to get very far with the earth is danger fairy people alert. I did find out that there are really weird things you can find in forums…

Overall: I hope the sequel covers more. A bit wordy and not much of plot line filling in. Hoping that the sequel covers those tracks. Not bad.

Cover C
Something’s not quite right…the arms? The kind of fake copy and paste alignment?
Sorry, it's 10:42 PM and I just finished writing the review and literally about to pass out. Didn't proofread.

8 comments:

  1. Can I borrow this book from you, or do you know someone who's willing to trade? I've been curious about this for so long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, first time I've seen this book, but I'm definitely curious. Going over to Amazon for a look...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The length is going to be cut for the original book, just so you know.

    www.bloodybookaholic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The original book? I thought this was the original book.

    It says it here that the book is 500 pages long: http://www.behindeveryillusion.com/community/?page_id=90

    The copy I have is 495 pages. My copy isn't an ARC, it's the final softcover edition. This is a self published book so I don't that they have ARCs, just multiple editions while they try to fix every error possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. I've been curious about this book, but hate it when a book gets dull and you have to start skimming. I might wait a bit to pick this one up.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Go Green comment really caught me with this book.
    The excess details, not so much. But the tale does sound interesting though.
    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a really interesting book. My kinda thing. Here's another award:

    http://bookingthrough365.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay so I was wrong and Taschima was right. Sorry about that. It seems that the final edition is actually being reduced by 25,000 words.

    ReplyDelete