Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

City of Bones and City of Ashes

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...”

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Grade: 3.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go -- especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil -- and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings -- and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?”

Review: By now you’ve probably all but heard about the Mortal Instruments series. I know I have. So to say that I was excited would be an understatement when I turned the first page of City of Bones. Alas, all dreams sometimes never do come true.

I was displeased, distressed, and discontented with City of Bones. Something about just didn’t spark for me. The heavy descriptions, the confusing scenes, the many names, it just all came together in a ball of sadness for me. Cassandra Clare did score well in the whole fantasy realm I must say. She created the perfect villain, the solid storyline, so what failed was the fact that it took 1 and a half books to get into.

I managed crawl my way through City of Bones as you can see on twitter and halfway though City of Ashes that something sparked. That something oh so magical just happened that I needed to continue, that I needed the next book, that I wanted more.

Jace and Clary have a connection that I have trouble reading, something very close to incest. I have an older brother so this topic is a sensitive one that borders on disturbing and giving me the hibbie jibbies. I think after letting that fact go (toward the middle of City of Ashes) did everything come together.

Overall: Try it. You may or may not like it, but you have to try. It might take you 1 and a half books to get into like me, but it might be worth it.

Cover B
I like the shiny covers, the city landscapes, the people not so much.

11 comments:

  1. aww So sad, I really enjoyed this book. Maybe you'll like City of Glass better, I love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the people on the covers either, but I like the shiny! @_@

    I do not like the Clary/Jace thing at all. And I hated Simon. Wait, what do I like about this series, again? I did like it.. in a general sense! I want to read CoG badly though!

    xx
    your bladder sister
    *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call Jace JERKFACE. I never liked the whole Clary/Jace thing with or without the incest (which is gross)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about these books as you do. I really wanted to like them, and I did... enough, but I didn't LOVE them. I'm still debating about reading the second one any time soon (though I do plan to eventually.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love these books. I hope you like CoG better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got awards: http://amazeofbooks.blogspot.com/2009/07/awards-galore.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sucks. I just bought City of Bones because all of the hype around it. I hope I like it, it sucks that you didn't enjoy it.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked this series quite a bit. But I know what you mean when you say you're crawling through it. I would usually reread a book right after I finish it(a weird thing that I do) but I can't find myself to do it for this series.
    But I hope that you'll enjoy City Of Glass. It was action packed and some surprises I never expected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Altius DirectoryJuly 8, 2009 at 1:41 AM

    Order online famous books & novels at low price here
    Online Famous Books Store

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just posted a spoiler with this review o.O Jace & Clary's relationship was the big shocker/plot twist, and you gave it away. Anyways, I loveddd this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved every second of this series, though the hubby really disliked Jace, Simon and Clary.
    I've linked to your review here:
    http://www.thediaryofabookworm.com/search/label/City%20of%20Bones%20Review at my review of the same

    ReplyDelete