Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Friday, July 10, 2009

Traveling to Teens: Lisa Mantchev

We're traveling with Lisa Mantchev this week! You can find her here and buy her book in your bookstores already!
[start]

1. Have you ever performed on stage? Did you have stage fright? So you still have stage fright?
I started doing community theater when I was seven years old.. it was a production of the musical South Pacific, and I played one of the children of Bali Ha'i, which meant I got to dye my hair black and learn Polynesian dancing. When I was younger, I never got nervous. I only started getting stage fright when I got older, when it got harder to memorize all my lines; feeling ill-prepared makes me VERY nervous.

When I go to conventions and speak on panels, I get a little nervous, but again, the better prepared I am (I usually have pages and pages of notes, in case there's a lull in the conversation) the more at ease I feel.

2. Beatrice moved Hamlet to an Egyptian setting. What play have you wished to change?
For my senior these project in college, I did all the production design (costumes, sets, lighting) for a version of Much Ado About Nothing set in post WWII New Orleans, during Mardi Gras, mostly because I love the clothes of that time period, and I thought that Carnival would work perfectly for the Masquerade scene.

I won a Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research for that project, mostly because we (my then-fiancé-and-now-husband and I) rigged everything up to the controller for a model train, so you could run different gel-colored lights up and down on a tiny set that also had people in costume and weensy lamp posts, plus Big Band swing music coming out of the theater model through a portable CD player and tiny speakers...

(Plus, if I was directing Much Ado, I could have Hero punch Claudio in the junk. Because he totally deserved it.)

3. Have you ever wished to dye your hair a flamboyant blue such as Beatrice did?
*G* For the last two years, I've been getting my hair dyed a dark purple with raspberry-red highlights foiled in. And I bought blue extensions for the launch!

4. What childhood memory can you best remember?
Well, the earliest one was from my fourth birthday party... I got this nifty working cash register, and then my sister went and broke it. With her head. When she fell on it. (It was an accident, but I hold grudges for a long time!)

5. What element do you think you are?
Earth, most definitely. I'm a Capricorn, which is one of the three horoscope signs associated with earth. Plus practical. And stubborn (see the aforementioned grudges!) It's something I researched just for fun a couple years back, and when it came time to work with the characters in my first novel attempt, it actually helped mold their personalities and give them distinctive voices.

[end]

3 comments:

  1. Hey Yan, I have something for you on my blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun questions, Yan! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Patricia

    http://lioneltrains.info

    ReplyDelete