Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Lipstick Apology

Lipstick Apology by Jennifer Jabaley (August 6th 2009—Razorbill)

Grade: 2.5 stars out of 5

Summary: “Sometimes a good-bye is just the beginning…

When Emily Carson’s parents die in a plane crash, she’s left with nothing but her mother’s last words scrawled in lipstick on a tray table: “Emily, please forgive me.”

Now it’s fall and Emily moves to New York City—where she attracts the attention of two very different boys: the cute, popular Owen, and her quirky chemistry partner, Anthony. With the help of some surprising new friends, Emily must choose between the boy who helps her forget and the one who encourages her to remember, and ultimately heal.”

Review: Lipstick Apology was quite a read. The first half of the book I could barely stand. The main character just took things too far for me. She went berserk a few times in the book like an on and off light switch. Happy, sad, angry, super angry, sad. Just stop. There’s actually a quote in the book but I forget where that is perfect. Basically it said what’s funny is how girls can go from sane to insane faster than a Porsche can go from zero to sixty.

The last third of the book was actually not so bad. I mean Emily learned to not throw chemical compounds at random points and stop being so PMS-y all the time. I still feel however that Anthony was much too good for Emily.

There are a couple of situations that I did not really like much a lot. Firstly Anthony tries to cajole Emily to figure out what the message left by her mother meant. She flips out, think banshee like. And guess what? She ends up trying to figure it out. When she finds something that she doesn’t like, Anthony warns her to be caution and maybe not search any further in case you uncover something that was not meant to be known. She flips out…again. She ends up finding out the truth, not liking it she kind of takes it our on Anthony. I’ll be frank on this, I do not like Emily. I really do not like her at all. I’ll give her an inch since she’s been through so much trauma but if you can party with Owen but cannot give Anthony some form of credit, but she took a mile.

And the entire scene of the message was just so anticlimactic. I didn’t explain a heart-to-heart moment, just something more I guess. Seriously you can figure the entire thing from the first hint, everything else is just precautionary.

I can see both the good and the bad side to Emily. In one case she cherishes their friendships, protects them. She is a good friend to even strangers that needs a fairy godmother every now and then.

I prefer Anthony, like I adore him to no end. Considerate, intelligent, humble, charming, and a friend to all. Plus he can bake!

I do love the interaction in the families. As discombobulated as it may seem, it works for them. I enjoyed the Christmas gathering between the two families—Emily’s aunt and hair stylist and Anthony’s mother, fun bantering.

Overall: A nice attempt, maybe tone the main character down a bit.

Cover A
I happen to love this cover. Vibrant, artistic, and full of life.

6 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot of reviews on this book recently. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not ... maybe I won't get it.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww - too bad the main character sucks. I won't be rushing out to get this one, but I do want to read about that Anthony character - he sounds good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see if I can find this at the library first. I hate leads like that - so I want to test the waters first =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...I'm going to lower my expectations. And I'll keep all that in mind while reading the book, maybe it won't bother me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! It was just toooo cheesy to bear in the last chapter, dontcha think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loveddd this book! ahhh i want to read another just like this.

    ReplyDelete