Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Comeback

The Comeback by Marlene Perez (August 1st 2009—Point)

Grade: 3 stars out of 5

Summary: “Sophie Donnelly is one half of the most popular and powerful couple in school, until new girl Angie Vogel shows up and compromises everything. Angie steals Sophie's starring role in the school play, and, worse, her super-popular boyfriend. Sophie has been quickly dispatched to social Siberia, but not for long--she'll do anything it takes to make a triumphant comeback.”

Review: The Comeback is one of those novels that scream TEEN NOVEL! It’s the typical—girl is popular, new girl comes along, old girl is not popular anymore, old girl wants popularity back, insert: a crazy scene that degrades the old girl even more, old girl learns a lesson, and the let bygones be bygones.

This should all sound very familiar does it not? We’re jumping back years of what young adult novels have come from. The Comeback is a guilty pleasure. One of which leads the reader back to the good ol’ days where everything was simpler and a good pepper-down-the-dress can spoil anyone’s big day.

Sophie is an aspiring actress that demands the spotlight. But when Angie appears from nowhere Sophie is pushed aside even by her own boyfriend. Insert diabolical schemes that makes me pity the poor girl. You can compare it to when someone pulls someone else’s pants. It’s mortifying for the person and you know you shouldn’t be looking, but it’s like stopping gravity from being…gravity—impossible. I feel like I should turn my head the other way when Sophie’s schemes never turn out how she wants it to be but you just can’t help but look.

I loved some the characters in this book particularly Sophie’s best friend and the best friend’s brother. Witty and strong characters. I did not really enjoy Sophie’s ex-boyfriend though; a bit fickle for my taste and his reason for breaking up with Sophie was not really a good reason at all. In the end you kind of like they’re friends though so you can sigh happily to the hookup between the best friend’s brother and Sophie. I thought Angie was also a great character. The author provided substantial background information and some character build-up.

Overall: Cute. Nostalgic feeling of the good old days though I wished for a bit more pow in the book.

Cover B+
I’m a sucker for a good dress. I admit I probably like taffeta a bit more than the rest of society. Loves the color scheme though, rich and deep with a splash of color. The body language is there as well.

5 comments:

  1. I actually really want to read this book! Who doesn't love a good old fluffy book?

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a copy this week. It look good and your review makes me want to read even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read for the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, the main reason I want to read the book is the cover. Haha, I'm horrible, aren't I? But, does look interesting. Thanks for the honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like there's a lot of drama. I love drama~!

    ReplyDelete