Powered by Blogger.
Win a copy of Nobody and Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (ends 2/20)

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Traveling to Teens: Stephanie Kuehnert

So while trying to figure out a way to incorporate drugs and alcohol in a topic without going overboard, I drew inspiration from Twilight coughcough.
Which type of drug would you call yourself? We already know Bella is Edward's heroin. Do you have your own personal heroin?

Hmm, I don't know what type of drug, I'd be. Honestly, I don't really want to be a drug just because I've seen drugs ruin so many people's lives. But I do hope I'm an addictive substance to readers! I hope that my books are something that they just can't kick or put down. That's what I strive for.

Books and music are my heroin. And writing of course. Fortunately since my teen years I've learned that it is way way healthier to lose yourself in words and sound and let those heal what ails you. When you lose yourself in a book, it's an escape, but unlike drugs, you usually learn something about yourself while reading it and with really good books, sometimes they can help you take a new approach to life or a problem, they inspire you. Which is something real heroin definitely doesn't do. I had a lot of unhealthy habits as a teen for dealing with pain and stress, but the healthy one and the habit that lasted is writing. Like with reading, I lose myself in a new world and I really do learn from my characters. I wish I could have written a character like Kara at 16 to understand myself, but I guess I was just to close to Kara's kind of world back then.

Music is also the perfect drug. It brings you up or mellows you out. Any emotion you're having can be reflected and soothed by music. I love the feeling of getting hooked on a new band or song. You love listening to it again and again just to evoke a certain kind of feeling. Music is the best drug in the world. Gets you high with no side effects
This was a Traveling to Teens tour.

1 comment:

  1. She seems really cool! I agree with a lot she said about having books instead of drugs. Books have definitely helped me learn stuff about myself.

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete